You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great. Zig Ziglar

You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great. Zig Ziglar

Monday, April 4, 2011

The July 2011 Bar Exam - Your Invite To The Party. Part I - The Daily Workout ; Part II - Transportation To and From The Event.

Hello, everyone. All of you that are tuning into this site know that we are trying to attend a party sometime in November. For some of us, the party will be in October. Regardless of the month, everyone in the CLEO family is trying to get the right ticket for entry into the party. That is what we are seeking to achieve. The winning ticket.

Well, I know you want to look your best as you prepare for the party. The "big dance," is not until October or November; right now, you are preparing for that dance. We all know that in order to look our best, that it is important to start on that task now, and not wait until six months later to get ourselves together. Right!

So, we must keep moving and studying throughout our actual bar exam study period.

Part I.

1. Exercise: You must move during the bar exam study period, even if you have never moved before. I don't care if you walk, run, Wii, do the Insanity Workout, Lift Weights, Yoga, play basketball, football, baseball, or soccer. Just get your body active. I don't have any preferences for any particular workout regimen, as long as you move. When we are under stress (informal definition - doing something in our lives that we do not normally do and doing that thing for an extended period of time), we tend to do certain things in order to cope with the stress.

Some of us drink a little more than we should. Some of us socialize more often. Others sleep more than the requisite period of time. Yet, many of us eat to comfort ourselves during a stressful time period. And, that additional food adds up to our inability to sustain our normal weight. Eight to ten weeks later, we can find ourselves at 10 plus pounds heavier than we were when we began a particular ordeal.

No, you can't stop eating. You have to nourish the body in order to use the mind as the sponge required to soak up mountains of knowledge provided for in the commercial bar prep courses. Starving yourselves means starving your mind. I know women go on diets all of the time. You can not prepare for the party without adequate sustenance. Men, who have also been known to diet from time to time, do not seem to try dieting during the exam. Known to eat mothers' out of house and home during any season, the male applicant for the bar does not seem to be concerned about dieting, which is why he needs to exercise as much as possible.

Is time in your way? I mean, you don't think you will have time to exercise? I understand your concern. Why? Well, if I told the truth, I would say that I did not exercise during my bar prep period. I was a good friend of Popeye's chicken & biscuits. I paid for it, too. Thirty pounds gained, and since I had never been overweight before, it was difficult for me to get it off, afterward. The sole reason for my lack of exercise during this time was that I was too scared to do anything except study, smoke cigarettes, and eat Popeye's. And that is all I did for the entire bar prep period. Today, I would be a walking time bomb. Oh, by the way, I don't smoke any longer (more than a decade). I have not been inside of Popeye's in at least three years (a biscuit still has a hold on me). And my treadmill, which is to my left, gets consistent use.

If you want a surefire way to get in the exercise, get it done as the first thing in the morning. Now, the requirement to exercise first thing in the morning, will conflict with my premise that you should test early, and often do it first thing in the morning. You have a choice of doing one at a time on the same day, or just alternating days. That means that three days one week you will exercise, and four days one week, you will test first thing in the morning; or, four days a week, test first, and three days a week exercise first. Or, five (5) to six (6) days a week, test first, then exercise, or exercise first, then test. Pick your poison, but pick something.

If you don't have an exercise, but you want something cheap, then get up first thing in the morning and walk. You can walk with or without coffee, or bagel or sandwich. I am not trying to act as the spokesperson for Jenny Craig, but you must get going. Get a sandwich, coffee, your pet, whatever, and hustle right out the front door. I want the movement more than I want you to consider how your hair looks, who is going to see you, that you did not wash your face, or brush you teeth, as those things do not matter a 10th as much as your ability to get up, walk strongly for 30 minutes and return home. I would like 40 minutes, but some of us will complain that they just started walking (never mind that they have been walking of their lives).

If you don't want to walk, please buy a jump rope. Jump ten minutes in the morning, and increase your time by ten minutes until you can jump 30 minutes (total). I don't need non-stop. I just want to see your time increase, a little at a time. I don't care how you skip rope, fast or slow, what I care about is that you get it done. Other men or women will try to impress you with their boxer like jump rope skills. Hit 'em with your rope (just joking). Don't worry about the other person; this task is on you. If you need a more challenging session, many ropes come with weighted handles; this will give your upper body a tremendous workout. FYI - you will not jump rope at 11:30 p.m., at night, after a day of studying. It's not going to happen.

Next post - a final thought on exercise, and Part II - Transportation To The Party.

Prof. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment